About Haidong Gumdo
Haidong Gumdo is an elegant and powerful ancient Korean Sword Martial Art. It’s more physically demanding than it looks; it builds great physical, mental and emotional strength. The Samurai of Japan are direct descendents of the Samu Rang of Kokuryo early region of Korea.
The modern society is characterised by technology, information and globalisation, has brought an abundance of amenities and luxury to many people. However, it has also brought obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes and various diseases due to stresses of modern life. Haidong Gumdo offers a solution to these stresses. Through learning physical training, etiquette, self control, meditation and internal breathing exercises, Gumdo practitioners learn to improve their physical and mental health.
Haidong Gumdo Activities
Gumdo (patterns) Practice is the core of sword training. It enhances physical attributes such as spontaneous power generation, balance, spinning techniques as well as the ability to concentrate.
Begin Cutting: The underlying theories of the sword techniques are mastered through cutting practice. A harmony of speed, power, fast sighting and correct footwork is required. Bamboo, stacks of straw, small moving targets and paper are used as cutting material.
Dan Jun Breathing: Through meditation and control of the breathing pattern, a practitioner learns to calm the body and mind as well as the ability to control the self.
Gyukgum (Sparring drills): In order to develop fast reflexes and judgment, a practitioner learns to apply the sword techniques of gumbups in real combat situations. There are short gyukgum and choreographed gyukgum.
Haidong Gumdo Specialties
You can deal with emergency situations or violence with self-defence training of Haidong Gumdo.
- Increase concentration level than any other ways, because Haidong Gumdo is using a sword.
- To overcome yourself, stresses and refine yourself with hard training.
- Haidong Gumdo help students nourish their mind with obtaining patriotism, filial piety, royalty, and faithfulness.
- With Haidong Gumdo, you are requested to use your whole body to perform a variety of techniques.
- Haidong Gumdo helps improve muscle persistency, reaction, and balancing your body.
- With practicing Haidong Gumdo, you will get a great deal of confidence.
- Haidong Gumdo combines breathing techniques and meditation with hard training, so that people can control their mind as well as their body.
- Haidong Gumdo can be learned by children to elders, both male and female.
- Haidong Gumdo is a world martial art, that has been taught to over 1 million people in over 50 countries.
Wolves Haidong Gumdo 10 commandments
- Show respect by bowing before entering and leaving the dojang.
- Always keep your uniform clean and tidy.
- Be respectful of others and maintain a proper attitude in the dojang.
- Do not make excessive noise, or disturb the atmosphere of the dojang.
- Do not practice right after eating a meal.
- Do not practice, or even enter the dojang under influence of alcohol.
- Regard the sword as your life and be respectful when handling it.
- Keep the dojang clean at all times.
- Do not criticise or look down on other martial arts.
- A student trying to master sword techniques should maintain an open mind and should not be jealous or easily agitated.